Welcome to my Weight Loss Blog!

My goal is to lose 100 pounds, which essentially accounts to about half of my starting size. I want to inspire people to take on the challenge I have started. With knowing that there are people out there watching, supporting and…frankly, keeping track, there is little chance that I will wane from my goals. I am known as one of the laziest humans on earth. If I can do this, anybody can!

Monday, September 7, 2009

What do you mean "dieting" isn't enough?

I am the laziest person in the world.  I mean it.  It's like inertia with me, an object at rest remains at rest.

A year ago I pre-paid a month's mortgage to a private gym so that I could have personal trainers, 4 times a week for 9 months.  Started doing that, and (while I didn't really lose all that much weight) I stopped gaining it.  I still have a good 20 or so workouts left with them because of appointments missed, vacations, etc., and I've started going back weekly, on Mondays and Tuesdays.

My workplace also sponsors a weekly workout at Cardio Barre, which is just a block or so away from our office.  That's what I do on Thursdays.

And my mother gave me 8 sessions with Dionna Veremis, a pilates instructor that I see on Fridays.

You'd think with all that working out, I'd have buns of steel and washboard abs, right?  Yeah, not so much.  What I do is wonderful, and healthy and super fantastic, but it's not enough.  The twice weekly workouts at the private gym amount to about 40 total minutes of cardio a week.  I should be doing that in one day.  The Cardio Barre workout is intense and great for toning, but the cardio section of the workout is so fast that I can barely keep up.  And Pilates is amazing.  Honestly, I had no idea how much I would love it, and I truly do love it, but it's not cardio.

Cardio is what is going to get this weight falling off me the way I want it to, and it's high time I just accept it.

Over the weekend, Amazon.com had a Daily Deal for a pair of highly rated running shoes.  A few years ago, I was doing a Boot Camp program that I really, really loved.  Unfortunately, when I got my new job in North Hollywood, I could no longer make it to the boot camp on time without being late to work, so I had to sacrifice it.

One thing I did learn, however, is that I can run.  Okay, maybe not run, but certainly jog.  By the end of my second tour of boot camp I was jogging a mile without having to slow down to walk.  The other thing I learned was that in order to do that, I had to have decent shoes.

So when my shoes come in (which should be tomorrow) I think I'll be taking them out for a spin around the neighborhood.  It's insanely hot these days and I may need to rethink that and head over to the 24 Hour Fitness, where both Tony and I have a membership we haven't utilized in two years.  I'm sure the treadmills miss me.

2 comments:

  1. I relate... same deal with my gym membership, and regrettably no matter how much ya work, it seems like there's no change...

    Well, I saw a program on a Virgin Atlantic flight recently about why skinny people don't get fat, and there seems to be a gene in the body that adapts to a locked in weight--

    Essentially, fat is reserve energy and weight loss won't begin to really happen until the body's been groomed to believe ideal weight is your goal weight... only trouble is, you have to get to that goal weight and maintain that weight for some time before the body locks that number in as the 'normal weight' --

    Yet, if a body's carried extra weight for a long while, it will believe that is the natural weight -- it's probably why Oprah keeps returning to previous weight after dieting... the body goes into starvation mode...

    So the good thing about Jenny Craig is that the weight loss is gradual and gives body time to adjust to new weight, consistently modifying 'normal weight' and not resisting through starvation experience when crash dieting.

    Rather than focus on weight loss week to week, I'm looking toward a quarterly outcome -- this time next year, target weight achieved should become new 'normal weight' that's more of a 'keeper' on a long term, permanent basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. found the video in six parts on Youtube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q17NZNDjcBs

    ReplyDelete

Progress